Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Tend Skin



If you don't know what Tend Skin is, it's an after-shave product for men and women that treats and prevents razor bumps, ingrown hairs, and razor burn. Tend skin works so well, but it is SO expensive! And, if you look at the ingredients, you'll discover that it is mostly just 2 things - aspirin and alcohol. It is actually super easy and CHEAP to make with ingredients found at your local drug store. An 8 ounce bottle of tend skin retails for about $34.00 at drugstore.com. This homemade version costs just $1.59 for an 8 ounce bottle. The cost analysis is as follows:


Cost Analysis:
These prices are all found from the CVS pharmacy website, and can vary.
Uncoated Aspirin - 99 cents for 120 tablets - ~21 cents per 8 ounce bottle of homemade tend skin
Witch Hazel - $4.69 for 16oz - ~59 cents per bottle
Isopropyl Alcohol (70%) - $2.79 for 32oz - ~52 cents per bottle
Glycerin - $5.49 for 6oz - ~27 cents per bottle (based on using 0.3 ounces per bottle. you may use less)

GRAND TOTAL: $1.59 per 8 ounce bottle - A 95% discount!


Things you will need:
1 empty 8 ounce bottle (I used an empty bottle of tend skin)
25  (325 mg) tablets of uncoated aspirin
~6 ounces Isopropyl alcohol (70%)
~2 ouncesWitch Hazel
few squirts of Glycerin

Instructions:

Crush aspirin tablets to a powder. To do this, I put aspirin tablets in a snack sized ziploc bag and crushed them to a powder with the butt of a screwdriver (be careful not to puncture the bag). Pour aspirin powder into an empty 8 oz bottle (I used my empty tend skin bottle - just carefully use a knife to pry off the top and pop it back on later).

Next add the isopropyl alcohol to the bottle, filling it a little less than 3/4 of the way. Then fill the rest with witch hazel. If using glycerin, leave a little room at the top and add a few squirts. Put cover on the bottle and shake to mix. Let the aspirin dissolve for a few minutes before using (although some will never dissolve as there are fillers in the aspirin-there will always be some powder left at the bottom). Always shake before using.

TIPS:
- Apply to affected areas (prone to razor bumps) twice a day by squirting on to a cotton ball (especially after shaving). Or put in a roll on bottle, and roll on directly.

- If you are allergic to aspirin, do NOT use this product (obviously). if you are unsure if you are allergic or sensitive to aspirin, test a very small area of skin before applying it to a large area.

- Because of the aspirin, this mixture can get a vinegary smell after sitting for too long. It will still be effective, but the smell might be unpleasant. If you find that you cannot use the 8ounce bottle fast enough before this happens, then make smaller batches at a time and scale down the recipe.

- If you wish to buy the ingredients such as aspirin in bulk, make sure you check expiration dates first so that you don't end up wasting the ingredients. Expired aspirin will probably not be as effective.


3 comments:

  1. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete