Monday, December 3, 2012

Butternut Squash and Spinach Stuffed Shells

from http://www.prouditaliancook.com/2009/10/butternut-squash-stuffed-shells-with.html

This recipe has been ALL over pinterest. It looked awesome and I had some squash I needed to use, so I figured I would try it. First, I multiplied the the filling ingredients by about 1.5 (because I had a REALLY big squash, and 2 cups is an awkward amount of ricotta. either you get a small container which isn't enough, or a large container which is too much. Plus, a standard package of jumbo shells will give you far more than you need for the amount of filling in the recipe.). I cooked what I could fit in my 9x13 baking dish, then used the rest of the filling and froze the rest of the uncooked ones. The recipe here has the filling ingredients modified to 1.5 (or more) times the original recipe. Also, I found the lemon to be overpowering. I also cut back on the amount of zest and lemon juice. I would maybe recommend not adding lemon juice to the sauce at all, but that's just personal opinion. However, I wouldn't suggest completely omitting the lemon - I would still add a bit of zest to the filling mixture.


Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash
olive oil
1 package jumbo stuffed shells
3 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves (I used the equivalent amount of jarred minced garlic)
1/2 lemon
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
1 egg
salt
pepper
1 stick of butter
10 or more sage leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cut the butternut squash into cubes. cook until soft but not too mushy (20-30 minutes?). (This step can be done the night before and then refrigerated or frozen if you wish to store it longer. Makes the recipe much easier!)

Cook jumbo shells according to package directions.


In a bowl add ricotta, parmesan cheese, garlic, spinach (squeezed and drained), egg, salt, pepper, your cooled down roasted squash (around 3 cups), and grated lemon peel (from 1/4 to 1/2 of the lemon).

Stuff the shells with the mixture and place in a buttered/greased baking dish.

Make a sage brown butter sauce by melting 1 stick of butter in a saute pan until golden brown and bubbly.

Add at least 10 sage leaves until slightly crisp. Turn off heat and squeeze in fresh lemon juice (use only a SMALL amount and taste it as you add it).

Place your shells in a 400F oven until heated through around 20-25 minutes. When finished spoon your warm sage sauce all over and sprinkle with grated parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment