Friday, February 28, 2014

Italian Marinated Tofu

This recipe is adapted from Veganomicon (http://www.amazon.com/Veganomicon-The-Ultimate-Vegan-Cookbook/dp/156924264X)


Baked tofu, shown served with Potato and Turnip Gratin

Ingredients:

1 block extra firm tofu

1/2 cup vegetable broth*
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos (or tamari)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
big pinch of basil
big pinch of marjoram
big pinch of thyme
big pinch of oregano

*The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup white wine, but we did not like the taste so I substituted veggie broth. I used a 1/2 tsp Better than Buillion's no-chicken mixed with 1/2 cup water.

Directions:

Drain and press the tofu (I used the Tofu Xpress: https://tofuxpress.com/ ). I pressed my tofu overnight, and sliced and placed in marinade before going to work. I recommend pressing for at least 30 minutes, and marinating for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake tofu for 40 minutes, flipping after the first 20 and spooning marinade over the top if necessary.
You could also pan-fry the tofu instead of baking.


tofu before baking

No comments:

Post a Comment