Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sweet Potato Curry


Ingredients
3 tablespoons madras curry paste ( I used Laxmi Tandoori Paste)
1 medium onion- diced
2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped into chunks)
1 red pepper- sliced
1 15 oz can of chickpeas (or other white beans)
200g (6-7 ounce) bag of spinach
1 15 oz can of coconut milk ( I used lite)

Method

In a large sauce pan, fry the onion for few minutes in olive oil till soft. Add curry paste and fry for 1 min. Add the coconut milk, sweet potato, pepper and chickpeas and simmer for approx. 15 minutes until potato is cooked. Add spinach (fold spinach through the mixture in handfuls) simmer for a couple more minutes until spinach is wilted. If not liquidy enough add a little water. Serve immediately with rice or naan bread as desired .

Freeze left over portions in individual bags.

verdict:
very tasty. however, the recipe called for 4 sweet potatoes and I only used 2 which was plenty! After adding all the ingredients the liquid only about half covered all the veggies - which worried me - so I added (I think) a half cup of water. Mistake! It made it wayy too watery. Next time I would add 1/4 cup or less, although I would still have worries about the veggies simmering properly.

Once again another recipe that claims 4 servings....I would say this is maybe 5 or 6.

Also, I couldn't find the proper curry paste so I bought something else. I used 3 tablespoons and it had a pleasant (spicy) kick to it.

serving suggestion:
I ate it with some jasmine rice. It worked well to soak up the excess sauce i made when I added too much water.

No comments:

Post a Comment