Monday, February 6, 2012

Tofu ("Egg") Salad

adapted from http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com/2011/04/corn-salad-sandwich.html#comment-form
and from recipe in "You Won't Believe it's Vegan"

1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed
1 can corn (drained)
1/2 cup vegenaise
1/2 tsp dried parsley
2 Tbsp stone ground mustard (I used dijon mustard)
1 tsp onion powder (I left this out because I didn't have it)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp tamari

In a small bowl, add the parsley, onion powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric and nutritional yeast. Set aside.

Drain and press excess water out of tofu ( I used my tofu express). Add to a large bowl and mash until crumbled. Add the drained corn, vegenaise and mustard and mix. Add tamari and mix. Now, add the dry spices and mix until well combined.

verdict: WAY more delicious than I thought it would be! I don't think this would fool anyone as far as being an egg salad substitute, but for someone who does eat eggs, I still love this version.

serving suggestion: I ate it for lunch on a wheat bun with some baby spinach. Also good by the spoonful straight out of the bowl...

No comments:

Post a Comment